Dear 8-Metre sailors,

Today the executive committee (excom) of IEMA held a conference call to discuss the impact which the Corona virus could have on the upcoming World Cup this August in Enkhuizen.

With the Worlds 5 months away, the excom feels it is too early to take a decision to cancel or confirm. Consequently, it was agreed to postpone any decision until the excom meets again on April 21st. Meanwhile we will closely monitor the situation by staying in touch with you as our members, World Sailing and fellow class associations.

In the meantime, we are grateful to the organization committee in Enkhuizen lead by Jan Willem Ypma of Falcon and Marc van Bemmel of the KNR&ZV, who have wholeheartedly agreed to continue their work, aiming for a welcoming and great sailing event if it is safe to do so and travel restrictions have been lifted.

As a fellow organizer said; “Cancelling events has become the socially safe response. Better the overabundance of caution than a judgment of recklessness in hindsight”. Still the heartbeat of sailing needs to be retained, so, against all odds, we haven’t given up hope that we will be able to race for the 8-Metre World Cup in August.

However, at this moment, no-one can provide certainty, so please do make sure that your hotel and accommodation bookings are flexible for a cancellation by May 1st. Please keep the option open to cancel any reservations and be cautious with any payments. 

However, do note that the IEMA membership fee is due regardless of whether a championship is held.

The membership fees are needed to support the projects which support our class. 

We will inform you on any developments through the website, Facebook page and direct mail to the IEMA members.

Stay safe, take care of yourself and of each other


Roel van Merkesteyn        Seraina Pruente
President Secretary